Honesty. Integrity. Finality.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Support
  4.  » A court can enforce your child support order

A court can enforce your child support order

On Behalf of | Jun 14, 2019 | Child Support |

Having enough money to eat, getting to wear new clothes to school and having a reasonable home to live in is what children deserve. Sometimes, their ability to have these simple things is limited because one parent won’t pay support.

If a parent won’t pay the support they owe, the other parent is in a bind. They must go through the court to have the support order enforced. Of course, this does take time. In the event that the other parent isn’t working or is evasive in other ways, it can still be difficult to obtain support.

Some people are in favor of sending those who do not pay support to jail, but the reality is that doing so could make the situation worse for the other parent. If the parent who is not paying support cannot work, then there is an even lower chance that they’ll make payments in the future.

What should you do if your child’s other parent isn’t paying support when ordered to do so?

If they aren’t paying when they’re supposed to, then it’s important to report it to the judge. The judge can enforce the order, garnish their wages or take other steps to get you the compensation your child deserves.

Our website has more on child support and why it’s so important to children in today’s society. If you aren’t getting the support you need, speak up. The court can help and will do its best to get you the funds that were ordered to be paid to you in your divorce agreement.