Honesty. Integrity. Finality.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Custody
  4.  » Do you have to file paperwork for a child custody suit?

Do you have to file paperwork for a child custody suit?

On Behalf of | Jan 21, 2021 | Child Custody, Family Law |

A child custody case in Illinois starts with filling out paperwork. If you’ve decided that you want to fight for joint or sole custody of your child, you’ll likely need to visit the courthouse and start a child custody suit. You should consult your family law attorney about all the necessary steps before you begin.

How do you file paperwork for a child custody suit?

Every state has different laws regarding child custody and parenting time. Your attorney may tell you what kind of paperwork you’ll need to fill out. You can go to the courthouse, collect your forms and fill out everything you need to launch a child custody suit.

Once you’ve filed the paperwork, you’ll have to ask someone to notify your former spouse. Your former spouse will get the chance to respond to the filing before the official court date is scheduled. During this time, you might want to talk to your family law attorney to figure out the best way to proceed with the case. You should also be prepared to pay a set of fees when you file your paperwork.

Should you aim for joint or full custody?

Ultimately, you’ll have to talk to an attorney to figure out which option is best for your children. Some children need a joint custody arrangement so that they can maintain a relationship with both parents. This also gives each parent an equal amount of time with the child.

However, you might want to aim for full custody if you believe that you can provide the most stable living situation for your child. You might also argue for full custody if you have reason to believe that your former spouse is an abusive or neglectful parent who shouldn’t be raising a child. If this is the case, your attorney may help you collect evidence to present to the court.