Honesty. Integrity. Finality.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Custody
  4.  » Do I have to share custody with my child’s other parent?

Do I have to share custody with my child’s other parent?

On Behalf of | Apr 24, 2024 | Child Custody |

Did disagreements, conflict or different values between you and your spouse lead to a divorce? If you are a parent, then one of the considerations you may need to make is child custody. However, you may not want to share custody with your child’s other parent.

You can learn more about your child custody options by reading the following:

What to know about parallel parenting

Many courts believe that the best option for divorcing parents is joint custody. Joint custody means that both parents retain some rights to maintain how their child is raised. This often means parents will need to work together to decide what they believe is best for their children. Parents may decide that their children, for example, should go to private school. Or, that a child should spend more days with one parent than the other.

However, if communicating with your spouse is difficult, then joint custody may not be your best option. You could have the option to parallel parent. Parallel parenting is an arrangement where parents limit how much they communicate with each other. Typically, the benefit of doing this is that it reduces conflict around children and gives parent’s more autonomy. Parents may not need to communicate everything they do with their child’s other parent, which can reduce arguments.

What to know about sole custody

If you believe that your spouse is unfit to raise your child because, for example, they have addiction or anger issues then you could try for sole custody. Sole custody could give you full custody rights of your child. You could be the only one to decide what is best for your child. Your spouse could have some limited visitation rights to still be involved in your child’s development.

To learn more about which options are right for you and your child, you can learn more by reaching out for legal help.